Sunday, February 18, 2007

Weskora Hotel - Ossining, New York


Weskora Hotel - Ossining, New York
Originally uploaded by sisudave.

This is a vintage penny postcard. I received the site in an e-mail from a friend today where I found this:
www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/ppcs/ppcs.html
My Hometown, Ossining, New York.
I never saw this hotel, and never saw a picture of it until now. It burned long before my time, but I heard about it. My folks were young married couple living on Broadway(hill to the left where you see other buildings), probably about 1925.. They lived at the bottom of the hill which would have put them right behind the hotel.. It must have been one of the biggest fires in town. My Mom said they were up all night long making coffee and my Pop taking it to the folks battling the fire..
So in my time there was just the old brick parking lot with a diner at the back of the property. The diner couldn't have lasted there long either as was gone by time I was in High School, but was around when I was a kid. A bunch of us kids in the Washington School area hung around in Cardinale's Liquor store. A guy named Tony took care of the place for the Cardinales. Tony was crippled(I think from Polio) so he couldn't go away to the service in WWII like so many of the other young guys. We used to play rummy in the back room. One day he sent us to buy sandwiches at the diner. We had BLT's. It was the first one I ever had. It was Delicious! I can remember running home to tell my Mom about this great sandwich I had. I have had lots since but I always hold the mayo..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home