Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Preparations and Hazardous Duty

As I went grocery shopping today, I remembered the long holiday, Memorial Day Weekend, was coming up so made sure I got all the right selections for the occasion. Got a fresh jar of Nathan's pickles as starters and the bottle had an instant store coupon for $1 off Nathan's hot dogs. Nathan's brand was twice as much or more than the other franks, and still more, even with the dollar off. But, I figured, hey, it's a holiday so why not splurge. They had the same price for the hot dogs that are longer than the bun as for regular size. I got the larger ones, of course, but still trying to figure out how they do that. Maybe more air in the larger ones? Saw to it that I had the grey poupon mustard, hot dog rolls to go with it and even picked up some more strawberries at Aldi's Grocery as stopped there first for my breakfast cereal. Aldi just started opening on Sundays last weekend. The other grocery stores have been open Sundays all along. But now Aldi's had a sign that they would be closed Labor Day, but Bi-Lo will be open. That's one to ponder.


BiLO also had fresh corn for sale this week so it will be an old fashioned Memorial Day for me all the way. 5 ears for $1. I was thinking of buying the ones already shucked, but they were $1 more, and since I have done my share of shucking in my life, figured I could stand the cleaning up afterwards. We always spread out newspapers to do our shucking, but I had given every last paper to the recycling bin Tuesday morning. I had just saved this one newspaper clipping, but decided I couldn't soil it so soon. It was the story of my boss of bosses, William John Park, donating the organ he spent over decades building himself to his alma mater, Clemson. His son who is an associate Professor there convinced his father to donate the organ so students could study his work and refurbish the organ.

One guy probably spent 10 minutes at the bin pulling back the husk on every ear to check them out. I just loaded 5 into the bag, figuring if one was bad, I'd only be out 20 cents. As it turned out all were good, but I got one yellow ear when all were soupposed to be white. The yellow ears were on the other side of the counter, but I got the stray that got over there. If my brother and sister-in-law see this they will probably be so envious, as only met one other person who could possibly be fonder of corn-on-the-cob. That was a guy we met from Iowa, when my other brother, Herb, now deceased, and I were vacationing in Branson, Missouri. He was in the next motel room and all he could talk about was the corn they grew in Iowa and how it was the biggest and best anywhere. He hung out with us quite a bit as just had his wife and mother-in-law with him. They were going shopping for clothes, but he would much have preferred going with us. He was anice guy and they sure didn't come anymore country than him. If I remember right he drove a big rig for the highway departmet and ploed snow off the roads in winter. I don't know where my brother and I were headed as right now only rememebr we took about an hours train ride back into the monatins that was enjoyable and went to a great show one night.

A flickr friend invited me to join his new site, posting pictures of loading docks. That isn't the most scintilating subject for me, but thought I would do my best to help support his site. So before going to the grocery store, figured I'd find a few and take a couple of pictures to post. We go past the old cotton mill warehouse on our way downtown frequently as it is the backway avoiding the traffic. Most of the mill buidings have been torn down, but this warehouse surrounded by fence still stands. I have never seen any activity going on there, but have noted a sign advertising warehouse storage space for rent. Seemed like a good place to start and I pulled my car in side the gates which had all kinds of signs for employees only and all that stuff, but figured that applied to when it was a mill and I was just going to take a quick picture and out of there. Boy I was in luck because there was a Doritos truck there and figured at least it would add some color to otherwise drab picture. So I just stopped the car and jumped out with my camera. All of a sudden I noticed there was a lot of commotion and awful noise behind me, but I finished taking the picture. I felt rattled from all the noise and when I turned around there were two trucks, a small one and a big trailer rig that I was blocking with my car from getting through and two big guys standinmg there talking. I was embarrassed and figured maybe I was in trouble for trespassing so jumped in the car and did a quick u-turn to go out the gate after the smaller truck got past. Then as I was passing the second driver, I pulled up and started to apologize. He told me he had gotten out of the truck to tell the other guy it wasn't necessary for him to have blown his horn at me. I didn't know he had even done that and glad at least I had one good guy on my side as they were both big ole truck drivers. I passed on freely without passing out.

Being Sisudave, I persisted in my quest and drove around the corner to Paine Oil Company's loading dock since I noticed some colorful barrels and containers there. Since their place had big gates to pass through also and no parking on the street, I wasn't going to take any more chances. I went up a few buildings to the Nationwide Insurance Agency office parking lot as I got my coverage with them and after a career of 10 years service with that company, figured I would be alright. Walked down to Paine's yard. There was no one around, but a pickup truck was parked there. I kept going closer and closer and getting my shot framed just so, when could see activity out the corner of my eye. And, Oh My God, there was another massive guy approaching me who was not smiling. He asked me what I was doing, but think once he realized I was just this old crazy fool, he must have realized I was no problem to him. Turned out he was a nice guy and was just concerned figuring I was some kind of inspector. Probably concerned about his place as looks ike it could stand some extensive structura work.

I went next to Sneads Building Supply Company and got their loading docks in my sites. No problem there as the back of their property comes up to our West Cambridge Trail and you walk right past it. I wanted to go that way anyway as a couple of the bridges spanning the trail have graffito painted all over the supports. 5 gallons of the thickest and exterior paint Lowes has been purchased and one of the parolees will be given the task of painting over it as part of their community service sentence.


My next stop, and I should have skipped that one was the post office. Thought that might be interesting, especially if happened to catch a mail truck in the bay. I should have at least gone to the main p.o. downtown as that one is visible right from the road. Anyway I parked in the front and walked once again through the big open gates. Had to walk all the way to the end of the building as there was no loading dock in site along the side. All I saw at the beginning was a table where apparently some workers were taking their break. As I'm walking back one of the girls approached me. Not real menacing, but firm in letting me know that I was trespassing and they did not allow pictures to be taken when I told her what I was doing, but suppose she saw me anyway. When I acted surprised she told me they were concerned that somebody might take pictures of classified or secret stuff. What's going on at our Post Office anyway? I was a little shaken so put on my sadest old man's face and gave her my best 'I'm sorry' and started walking away heading out of there. She didn't come after me but I was a little worried for awhile that maybe I would be arrested or, at least, have my camera repossessed.

After I got home and got the groceries packed away, I was sitting at the table enjoying the apple I have after lunch everyday. I don't have a view, except for the road in front of the house about 20 feet away. So all to see is the occasional car passing by. By habit I look up at the reflection in a picture on the wall and can see the vehicle as it goes on down the street. All of a sudden I see a police car coming down the hill and turn into our street. It is not all that uncommon as they do seem to patrol once in awhile and I think a couple cops may also live in the neighborhod. The car passed the window and I automatically looked up into the reflection, but the car didn't show up in the view. Right away I knew something was wrong, but finally summoned up enough courage, got out of my chair and up to the window to see The POLICE CAR IN MY DRIVEWAY! In all the years I have been here, maybe twice I have had a police car in my driveway and one of those times is because I called them. My heart about bounced out of my chest and all I could think is that 'they're coming to take me away, ha ,ha, they're coming to take me away.' I bolted out of the door. It was a lady police officer, big, but appeared kind enough that I thought she would be easy on me so I gave it my best old man look. Turns out she was looking for someone else whose address was listed as mine. It is a name of someone I don't know and has never lived here, I don't think even before me, although this was a rental house for some years with probably a number of tenants. The name was familiar because I remember gettin some addressed to him here on a couple of occasions and just returned it to the post office. She was satisfied and left. I know I should have taken a picture of her car next to mine in the driveway, but at the time that was the last thing on my mind.

I think after today, maybe I should have learned my lesson and stick to taking pictures of my flowers. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Have a Happy, Dave

Here's a Memorial Day Poppy Picture For You. Took it at a retired Lander Professor's house over on E. Laurel earlier this month.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home