Saturday, May 13, 2006

First Strawberry Shortcake of The Season

I finished up my lab work at the VA Clinic Thursday Morning and have been pigging out ever since. Not only did I have to fast 12 hours before going to the lab, but I have been trying to be careful what I have been eating the last couple of weeks - no steak, french fries or ice cream. I just want my tests to look good so they don't give me any more medications. It has been a woeful time, but I have made up for it in good fashion. This was the only time I didn't have to wait at the lab so was out of there in probably less than ten minutes. The technician told me I picked the right day because the same time the day before they were already an hour behind. I headed straight to the Waffle House where I savored a waffle with syrup and a side of sausage. I would have then headed into Main Street, Greenville for a couple of pieces of my favorite Pizza, but wanted to find my way to the ballpark ticket office and find the free parking area. You can see pictures of the West End Field and details of the baseball game on my flickr photo site(http://www.flickr.com/photos/sisudave/). Had to settle for a piece of Pizza at the park. Think it was Papa John's - not my favorite kind - I guess I am just not used to"better ingredients, better pizza." In the car on the way home I ate a Trail Mix Fruit and Nut Bar. Saw them at Aldi's grocery the other day. First time I tried them - 6 bars to a package. Boy! was that good. Crunchy and chewy - just what I like. And besides, I think that should be real healthy stuff.
Since then I have been pretty good about what I have been eating. Been making mostly big salads of lettuce, carrots, celery, onions and tomatoes with Light Italian dressing. Last night I grilled 6 chicken breasts outside. I like to make my own sauce to baste. I eat pretty mild tasting food. My taste buds just can't manage those hot, spicy, macho foods. I love chicken wings, but never order out, because, even when they say mild, they just burn too much. Usually mix ketchup, whatever salad dressing I have on hand (never eat those creamy dressings), some olive oil and vinegar - once in awhile add a little Worcestershire Sauce. Creamy sauces, creamy vegetables, creamy soups, Alfredo this and that, are sissy foods and I don't go for them.
I had bought fresh strawberrie Wednesday, just before going to the lab - the first of the season. Bi-Lo grocery store had the strawberries as one of their two for the price of one specials this week. I am a sucker for those two for one deals. The nice thing about Bi-Lo is that you don't have to buy two of the items - they give you the discount even if you only buy one. Try to do all my shoppinjg on Wednesdays as get 5% senior discount that day. Taking advantage of all the sales and discounts, my savings are really adding up fast this year. That way I'll have more money to spend at the gas pump.
I cut up the strawberries into bits and add sugar. I use Splenda for all my sweetening now, except for this one thing. I found that the Splenda does not release the juices from the strawberries. So use sugar. Remembered at the last minute when shopping that needed something to put the strawberries on so just grabbed a package of those
dessert shells as they were right near the check-out counter. Dessert shells - somebody came up with a great idea there. You can see in the picture that the Whip Creme is a little soupy. Previously my niece made a big issue about having to go with the real whipping creme on desserts and the aerosol can stuff just didn't measure up. I told her that made too much for me and couldn't really save the left over. She said to freeze it as that is what she did. So I froze a couple of containers full after whipping it up. Last time I used it I couldn't wait long enough for it to defrost so ate frozen whipped cream. I didn't care for that too much, but she said it tastes great that way. To each his own. So then I put the frozen whipped creme in the refrigerator over night before using on my first strawberry short cake of the season. The result is what you see in the picture. Tasted just fine, but visually I like to see my whipped cream formed in peaks - it is just more appetizing looking that way. So next trip to Bi-Lo's next week I'll get the Real Whipped Cream Aerosol can so have it at the ready in my refrigerator.
As Julia Childs used to say, "Bon Apetit." Everything I know about food I learned from my Mom and Julia.
Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there, and, guys, just remember your day is coming soon. Maybe I should start campaigning for Single Guy's Day. I just don't get any respect.
Have a Happy, Sisudave
Flower Picture For Today - a 'Strawberry' Roses from my yard.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home